Packing Suggestions--Keep It Simple!
Please use the information we've provided to prepare for your stay with us. All of our kitchens are stocked with salt, pepper, toothpicks, coffee filters and matches. Kitchens with dishwashers (Virta, Lumi, Tuli, Kivi, Joki ) have dishwasher detergent. Garbage bags and toilet paper are also provided.
The Everyday Essentials
- Kitchen and Bath Towels
- Paper Towels and Napkins
- Coffee and Tea - Creamer and Sugar
- Zip-Loc Bags, Saran Wrap or Tin Foil
- Condiments - Ketchup, Mustard (Salt and Pepper Provided)
- Kitchen and Bath Soaps (Dishwasher Detergent Provided)
- Laundry Detergent
- Charcoal/Lighting Fluid (Grill Provided)
- Flash Light (no candles PLEASE!)
- CDs (CD Player -- AM/FM Radio Provided)
- Unsalted Peanuts (for the Squirrels and Chipmunks)
- Small Black Sunflower Seeds (for the Birds)
- Fishing Tackle, Bait and Fishing License
- Swim Suits (Beach and/or Sauna)
Bottled water is NOT necessary. The resort is fortunate to have TWO deep water wells and we have clear, cold and great tasting tap water!
If you are staying in our suites or Virta with a whirlpool/jetted bath we suggest that you use a bath product like Vaseline Intensive Care's Moisturizing Bath Beads OR ANY product that indicates it is spa or whirlpool safe. PLEASE do not use oil based products.
If you are bringing your own boat remember to bring an extension cord for charging your batteries, ties to secure your boat to the dock, life jackets (one/occupant), a throwable life saving device (not an extra life jacket). If you are traveling with a gas container for your boat it CAN NOT be stored within 50' of any cabin/suite on our grounds.
Power Equipment and Other Toys:
We ask that you leave your Jet Ski at home for this trip. We welcome ATVers but insist that you only ride on the local ATV trails and not within the resort grounds.
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources prohibits the transporting of firewood into this area in order to prevent the spread of harmful wood parasites. We provide a generous supply of firewood at the start of your stay and replenish the fire pit sites each Wednesday. Additional firewood, if needed, is available at $15/container load/delivery. All burning restrictions, if any, must be adhered to at all times.
- Beach Towels
- Bug Spray and Sun Screen
- Water Toys, Tubes and Floaters or Snorkel and Fins
- Hiking Boots
- Golf Clubs
- Fixin's for S'mores
- Warm Clothes - Layering is Best
- Hat, Mittens and Scarf
- Ice Skates (Rink in Ely)
- Cross Country Skis (Or Rent a Pair in Ely)
- Down Hill Skis
- Ice Fishing Gear
- Sun Glasses or Goggles
Winter Driving in Northern Minnesota -- A 4-wheel drive vehicle is not required for winter driving in Northern Minnesota (it's nice to have to be sure) a standard 2-wheel drive vehicle will get your around just fine with proper basic vehicle maintenance:
- Check your tires, good tread is important
- Check your tires' air pressure (don't forget to check your spare)
- Regular oil changes are important, use winter weight oil if appropriate
- Driving a diesel vehicle, bring an (50') extension cord to plug it in
- How's your vehicle's battery?
Please Review our Complete Pet Policy so that everyone can enjoy their stay with us. Pet's are welcome during the Fall, Winter and Spring months only.
- Pet's bed
- Pet's crate-if leaving your pet in alone in the cabin/suite
- Blankets or flat sheets to cover the furniture
- Pet food
- Pet's food and water bowls (not our kitchen dishes please!)
- Swimming? extra towels to dry your pet off
- Lint roller/brush to collect pet hair
- Doggie bags to pick up their business
What is a Housekeeping Rental?
The term "housekeeping" means that you and your family rent a fully furnished and equipped cabin. You "set up house", cook your meals, wash your dishes, relax and enjoy! Guests should leave the cabin as they found it at the beginning of their stay. If extensive cleaning is required after your departure, a hourly cleaning charge will be charged.
Wireless internet access is available in the Lodge. Guests are also able to enjoy their WIFI connections outdoors on the Lodge deck and in the Activity Center.
Grocery or Supplies Nearby?
Ely has two grocery stores and store hours vary seasonally. The Zup's store and Ely Northland Market stores are both located on Sheridan Street. If you find that you will be arriving later in the day, we recommend that you stop for groceries BEFORE you arrive at camp. In Virginia there is a SuperOne grocery store on your left just as you are coming into town and there is a Target store on your right. Both of these stores in Virginia at located at the second traffic light.
Visitors or Day Guests?
A Day Guest is defined as ANYONE who visits a registered resort guest at any time. Day Guests MUST register in the lodge upon arrival-unregistered guests will be asked to register or leave.
- A Day GUEST fee of $9/person will be charged to your account if your visiting guest uses ANY outdoor amenity (playground, beach, water toys, etc.) during their visit.
- A day guest may visit between 8:00am and 11:00pm (Quiet Time) or they will be considered an overnight guest and applicable fees will apply.
- We reserve the right to limit the number of persons and guests per cabin to maintain the peace and enjoyment of all of our guests. If you are anticipating a large group of day guests, advance arrangements are suggested.
Viewing Northern Lights?
Here in the northwoods we enjoy the Aurora Borealis randomly throughout the year--winter, summer, spring and fall! However, due to the many variables associated with the phenomenon there is no way to accurately predict their appearance. "Usually" the Lights are most active in the spring and fall but the Lights have been spotted throughout the summer and winter. Typical viewing times also vary seasonally as "true dark" is needed for viewing. Even if you miss the Borealis during your stay the night sky here is breathtaking and something to behold!